Lens Artists Photo Challenge # 224 – Exposure

In this challenge Sofia asks us to work on exposure. We can use our camera’s shutter speed or play with the aperture settings when we are shooting. Another way to work with exposure is to change the exposure when editing.

This is a great challenge for me because I tend to be on the lazy side and let my camera do the work using the automatic feature. This method is great when I’m shooting wildlife that moves and I don’t have time to change settings quickly. Often, when taking photos of other subjects I’m not happy with the results if I let the camera do the work.

The two images below were taken just minutes apart. I used the camera’s automatic settings for the first image. I used the manual settings to change the shutter speed to 1/20 to achieve the overexposed look for the second image.

In the images below I played with different settings to capture the first camellia of the season. For the first image I set the aperture to a low 4.6. I set the shutter speed to 1/4000 for the second image.

Many thanks for Sofia’s Lens-Artists Challenge #224 – Exposure

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge – Soft

This week Ann-Christine has asked us to show our interpretation of soft. The first thing that came to my mind was the soft pink petals on one of my Camellia bushes shown in the image above.

A dandelion, milkweed, and a foggy morning are other soft things I found.

Dandelion in a field from last fall
Silky soft Milkweed from last summer’s garden
Soft foggy morning this week

Many thanks to Ann-Christine for this week’s Lens Artists photo challenge #137: Soft

Lens-Artists Challenge #134: From Forgettable to Favorite

For this challenge Tina has asked us to demonstrate how we use editing to improve an image. This was a fun challenge that took me out of my comfort zone. Usually, I crop the photo and I’m done. For this challenge I experimented with a few other editing techniques using Photoshop Elements.

The camellias are blooming and I’ve been trying to get a perfect shot of them. To focus on the flower I cropped this original into a square and applied the Watercolor effect. The finished image below shows the details of the flower and the rain drops on the petals.

On the left is the original of a Great White Egret in the salt marsh. I wanted a close up of the Egret so I cropped it before adding the Rough Pastels effect.

This last image was taken in Denali National Park in Alaska on a cloudy, overcast day. I replaced the dull sky with a brilliant blue sky to add more color and enhance the image.

Many thanks to Tina for this week’s Lens Artists photo challenge #134: From Forgettable to Favorites.